Welcome to Tessa's blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Picnic in the park

There are still lots of returns, but we are managing so far. The time has come when the scholars are requesting more material than usual. They don't have time to do any research during the semester, because they also teach. When the summer comes, we get more visitors in the manuscript reading room and they ask for a wide variety of materials. Some of it very difficult to find. Like the book by Ovid someone wanted today. After hours of searching it was clear that a librarian (over 200 years ago) had made a mistake cataloging it. We had two copies of the book, both of them bound in volumes with other items as well. I need to know what the first item of the volume is, otherwise I can't locate the book. For some reason, the librarian had forgotten to state that on the catalog card. Luckily (for me), the Royal Library had the same book bound the same way, so I found it. But it was very tricky.

Speaking of books, I have started to make an inventory of my book collection at home. Only the ones dealing with emigration to North America. I have about 200 books on that subject. I noticed last weekend when I was at the second hand book store that I really can't remember what books I already have.

Yesterday evening the social club arranged a picnic with a boules tournament in the city park. We were incredibly lucky with the weather, because it was the first sunny day in a long time. We had bagels and drinks, and then we played boules on the gravel walks. It was quite fun, even though we were equally bad at it. It took a couple of hours to get a winning team (three guys from my library), and they were awarded a colorful salad bowl each. It seems like we had managed to arrange yet another successful event, and we will probably do this again next year.

No comments: