Welcome to Tessa's blog

Sunday, September 21, 2008

"Chicago"

Thursday I took the subway a long way to southern Manhattan. I walked north and passed discount stores, walked through Chinatown with all the small shops offering jewelry, clocks, bags and souvenirs, and then I made a right turn and suddenly I was in Little Italy. From one ethnic area to another in just a few steps. They had a street festival and the red-white-green flags were everywhere. There were stalls with Italian food and pastry for several blocks. Very nice to stroll there. I got some candy called torrone, sort of a hard nougat with almonds. I had lunch at a very Italian restaurant named Lombardi's. Just to taste the Italian meatballs, I ordered a pizza with that as a topping. Very good, a little more spicy than a Swedish meatball.

In the afternoon I spent a couple of hours at the library again, searching old phone books for distant relatives who once lived in Brooklyn. Success was limited. I did find a few addresses, but no listings after 1975. Dinner was a very large plate of various Italian food (again) at Olive Garden. Very tasty.

Just before 8 p.m. I walked over to the Ambassador Theater to see the musical Chicago. It was a story set in a very jazzy Chicago of the 1920s. I had heard some of the songs before, like Roxie and All that jazz. It was a comedy with lots of dance segments. I was sitting quite far away from the stage, but it was still worth the money. A visit in New York City isn't complete unless you have seen a Broadway show!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

While in Chicago, try and see the play "Wicked". It is the prequel to "The Wizard of Oz." I think you will really enjoy it!
Nancy