Welcome to Tessa's blog

Saturday, November 29, 2008

XML

One of the things that I did this week was to attend a lecture on XML. I was clueless before it and not so much enlightened afterwards. XML stands for eXtensible Markup Language. It is used by computer programmers to get article references to follow the same standard and to get the entries machine readable, for instance. I really didn't need to know what XML was, but many of my colleagues were going to the lecture, so I did too.

Another thing I did this week was to take part in a social club meeting. We had to come up with some new ideas, because we have already done excursions to so many places in the Skåne area, and there aren't that many places left to visit with the colleagues. We actually managed to find a few things worth trying, for instance renting the ice-rink an evening and visiting the railway museum. Since I joined the board, there have been some other plans made also. They have asked me to arrange a genealogy class and lectures on related topics. Yet another project to start working on.....

Friday was the last working day at the library for the computer nerd that has helped us tremendously with developing the database and making it easier to communicate with the patrons. It was sad to see him go, especially since we will not get someone else to work in the stacks.

Today I have been to the Center Syd shopping center for the first time since July. There were no new stores, on the contrary there were fewer than this summer. Sweden is in a recession, just like most other European countries. I didn't shop much, just some groceries.

No comments: