Welcome to Tessa's blog

Monday, July 22, 2019

Archeology

There are still things to do in my kitchen. After some trouble I finally managed to hem the new curtains my mother gave me. I broke the machine needle twice and dropped a box of pins on the floor. So a lot more work than I anticipated but it turned out very nice. I also got matching towels. Today my father is in my apartment again to do some minor things like put up hangers on the tiles and install lights.

Sunday I did an excursion to a place I have been thinking of visiting for quite a while - UppÄkra. It's a rural place outside Lund where there was a large Iron Age settlement. The first archeological excavation was in 1934, and for the past 20 years or so they have been digging regularly in that area. They have found a huge number of artefacts like coins, beads, pieces of glass, clay and metal. All these items are in the Lund History Museum, where I have seen the displays. Unfortunately, the actual digging site is not open to visitors but there are information boards and a short film to view. Also a small replica of what they think a ceremonial house had looked like. I happened to arrive there when an archeology student gave a guided tour so I joined in. Interesting visit, definitely.

The weather is much more tolerable this summer than a year ago. It's around 20-22 degrees and fairly sunny. I have heard that there will be a change later this week, hot weather is expected.

No comments: