Welcome to Tessa's blog

Monday, October 8, 2018

Gravestone inventory

Monday last week we finally got two new employees. It was greatly needed, we were really struggling. It's one man and one woman and they seem to learn the job rather quickly. They have already cleared the backlog on one floor of the stacks. I have taught them the routines and also gave a lecture on our database system. One afternoon I brought the woman to the stacks so that we could do some minor tasks there and for orientation purposes. They will soon have to do the storage round.

For Friday fika I was asked to buy the bread. Since I drive to work now I had to get it at the local grocery store. It turned out to be a hit, the bread was absolutely fresh and I received a lot of praise for my effort. I have a feeling this means that it will be my task every Friday from now on...

Saturday was a long and very interesting day. I got up early, packed a lunchbox and drove to the northern part of Skåne. First I stopped at a clothing store in a small village that I had never been to before. There is no public transport to this place. I got a long tunic and a pair of pants. I then continued on to the church in my birth town Norra Strö. I planned on updating the inventory I took of the gravestones back in the 1990s. When I walked through the gates I saw a group of about eight people that I recognized. They were locals who had arranged a tour of the cemetery to talk about the people buried there. I joined in and could fill in a few details since I had the files with me. It was fun meeting them and talk about the old days. Later I walked several rounds in the cemetery, writing down the additional gravestone inscriptions and those of the new graves. I also took photos of some graves. Some more visitors came in and wondered what I was doing, so I explained. After talking for a while we understood that we must be related... My mother's second cousin Ingegerd and her husband had come to attend to the family graves. I have a faint memory of having visited Ingegerd's mother, probably in the early 1980s. Really strange coincidence to meet these people in the cemetery. These surprise meetings meant that I didn't get that much time for the inventory. Perhaps I will have to visit again to take more photos.

In the afternoon I drove on to another town nearby to attend a birthday party. One of our family friends turned 65. The celebration was very nice with lots of good food and a great cake. Also, I happened to be seated next to people who were interested in family history. It was indeed a great party and I was very tired when I came home that night. Sunday there was not much activity. Mainly I tried to decipher the notes I had taken of the gravestone inscriptions.

No comments: