Welcome to Tessa's blog

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Road trip

Wednesday I went to Copenhagen by train for some shopping. I was lucky to find three pieces of garment that were all on sale. I was especially surprised to find a pair of jeans set at 150 DKK that were originally at 500 DKK. There was only one pair left and it was my size. Amazing.

Thursday I drove north to the province of Halland. I visited some parishes my ancestors had lived in; Harplinge, Steninge and Eftra. I drove around in the area and stopped at the cemeteries, churches and a local museum. I talked to the staff and also visitors at the Harplinge church but they told me there were no gravestones left and they couldn't locate the house I was looking for. I anticipated this, since it's such a long time ago (1870s). Even so, it was a very interesting excursion. I went to the beach north of Steninge where I knew ancestors had lived in a small cottage. Standing there on a cliff by the sea looking out over the barren and windy area, I wondered how it was at all possible for them to have made a living there. It says in the history books that people didn't do much fishing here because of shallow waters. There were factories which produced glassware and bricks providing some jobs and I know my great great grandmother started working at the brickworks aged eight. It is difficult for us to imagine such a life.

Friday I was at the archive center to do some various research. Saturday my library participated in Lund Culture Night. The two current exhibits were open and we had arranged three lectures on the subject of lithography (it's 200 years since the printing method was introduced in Sweden). Three people and a very old (but still functional) lithographic press were engaged from a museum in Stockholm. I attended most of it and have to say it was a smash hit! There was a constant line of people coming in and the museum staff were incredibly busy showing the equipment and how it worked. The lectures were also well attended.

And tomorrow I have to start working again... Sigh...

No comments: