Welcome to Tessa's blog

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Vasaloppet

After the incredible work-week, I decided to take it very easy during Saturday and Sunday. The only important thing I did was to send in the article about Leroy Anderson to the genealogy magazine. It was approved of, luckily. I don't know when it will be published, when I find out I will post it here.

The main event in Sweden today was the Vasaloppet ski race in Dalarna. It's an annual cross country ski race of 90 kilometers. The number of participants is huge, about 15 000 people is average. One of my first cousins, Håkan, has participated for many years, and he is very good at it. This year he came in 295th. The fastest make it in about four hours, this time a Norwegian guy named Jörgen Aukland won it, with about three minutes' margin to his own brother Anders. There are mostly Scandinavians who race, but in recent years people from other countries have taken part also. The winners of the American sister-race in Mora, Minnesota get a free ticket to the Swedish race.

No comments: