Welcome to Tessa's blog

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Chocolate

Thursday evening I was on a chocolate event with some of my colleagues. It was in Malmö and I took the (express) bus. I never thought it would take such a long time to go to Malmö - 45 minutes. The train takes 12 minutes. The traffic was really bad, but I got there on time anyway. Around 1900, Malmö was known for having several chocolate factories. Only one survived to the late 1900s, Malmö Chokladfabrik. They produced a large variety of sweets, cocoa powder, vanilla and baking soda. The factory was empty for about 15 years, until some people recently started a small business making and selling fine chocolates. We got samples of eight pieces, from white to very dark and bitter chocolate, and the guide told us how chocolate is made these days. Very interesting. Almost all of us shopped in the store. I knew my fridge was filled with chocolate, so I resisted it.

Yesterday I did some research at the regional archive. I hadn't been there in quite some time, but I thought there were enough cases to make the trip now. Someone had asked about a midwife in Norra Strö, and more specifically wanted to know when she got her education. The only school for midwifes here in the 1860s was in Lund, so I checked the records there and came up with nothing. She wasn't listed as a resident, so she was most likely still registered at her parents' place. I did manage to find out the graduation date from a book, however.

No comments: