Welcome to Tessa's blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The beginning

After some explorations regarding the technical challenges of writing a blog-message, I think I can begin! Right now, I have desk duty in the manuscript reading room, but there are no visitors. It's usually crowded during the summer, and we don't know why they are abandoning us this year. We get visitors from all over the world in the summertime, but it's definitely different now. We are thinking of blaming the weather, like much else. It has been a terrible summer weatherwise. It rained for months. It stopped last weekend, but it was too late for many people. Many of my colleagues returned to work this Monday. I, however, start my vacation on August 13. As usual, I have lots planned. Already on Saturday I will do a trip to Bornholm, which is an island off the coast of Skåne, but it belongs to Denmark. There are rock carvings (rune stones), old castles and small fishing villages. Later, I will attend the Swedish Genealogical Society's annual conference. It's in Halmstad this year.
Undoubtedly, I will spend a lot of time at the regional archive in Lund also. It's not open on Saturdays during the summer, so the last time I was there was in May. I have suffered from symptoms of withdrawal for quite some time... There are so many ancestors to trace and so many relatives to find! Right now I'm doing research in Leroy Anderson's ancestry. For those of you who still don't know, Leroy Anderson was an American composer of light classical music. His father was born in the same village as I, Övarp in Norra Strö parish. We are distantly related. Next year will be the centennial year (Leroy was born 1908 and died 1975), with lots of events both in the US and in Europe. For more info: www.leroy-anderson.com
All for now. Thank you Nancy for the comment!

No comments: