Welcome to Tessa's blog

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hair cut

Unfortunately, the chiropractor got sick, so my appointment was rescheduled. I will have to endure my back problems a few more days. But I got another thing done that I also needed - a hair cut. There is a salon here in Kävlinge that is open late on Thursdays and I was there today. I told her to cut it as short as possible, and she really did.

The spring weather is pretty good, sunny and some rain showers, but still a little cold in the mornings. The lilacs are now blooming here. The daffodils on my balcony are no longer yellow, but the pansies are looking great in the flower box.

It's getting close to the end of the semester and the students are returning the books to the library in fairly large amounts. The peak season is end of May/beginning of June for returns. This is also the time when the lazy students are asking for books to write a paper on, which should already have been handed in. Some of the students are very high maintenance and show up at the library expecting the librarians to do everything for them. It doesn't work that way. They are taught to help themselves request books and check their loans online, and some of them are shocked to learn that they actually have to do the job of requesting the book and then wait until the next day to get it. My colleagues call these students the curling generation. They were born in the 1980s, and have been "curled" by their parents. In the sport curling you sweep the way for the stone. The parents of the curling generation have swept all the obstacles away in front of their children. They have never had to work hard or fight to get something. In an affluent society like this, they don't have to. What worries me is the fact that this generation will be the one who will pay for my pension.....

No comments: