Welcome to Tessa's blog

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

DNA results

The result of my DNA test has arrived. It was kind of interesting. They claim I'm only 57% Swedish. Most other is Norwegian and Finnish/Baltic with some English. I have researched all lines 250-300 years back and there is no one from Norway or England. Unless they mean that I have a viking heritage, which of course I do.

There were no close matches with other people. Many of them were 4th cousins or further away. Not everyone has posted their family trees so I couldn't figure out how all of them are related. I did look through the trees that were there and could for the most part see where the connections were. Most of the matches are descendants of emigrants. One of my Australian relatives showed up, and also a few of the Nelson descendants in the US.

I spent the weekend at work to do research for other people and to enter my family tree on the DNA website. I got four new requests and was lucky with two of them. I discovered that someone else has already done this research and posted it online. The two remaining will be more difficult, as they relate to Norwegian records and those records are not as extensive as here. Also got a request regarding German ancestors but can't do anything there, since much of the material has been destroyed during wars.

No comments: