Welcome to Tessa's blog

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Ascension weekend

This past Wednesday I attended a lecture at the Archive Center. It was an odd subject: the theft of a fontang and its aftermath. A fontang was a hair decoration made of lace and ribbons which was popular at the beginning of the 19th century. The speaker was a scholar who has visited the library a lot. She talked about the social ranks and high society and of course also about this theft. It was a rather entertaining lecture with insights in the legal system and the women's place in the local society 200 years ago.

This year I got four days off at the Ascension holiday. Last Wednesday evening I drove to the summerhouse. I was alone there, my mother and her boyfriend arrived yesterday for the season. It was a very enjoyable weekend. I was away on excursions to small towns, a mall and Kristianstad city. I bought many books for the library (and two for myself), had lunch at a diner in 1950s style, got a badly needed haircut, bought a pair of short pants, a nightgown and a pair of shoes, and ate large icecreams in Ă…hus. In the evenings I took it very easy, I didn't even turn on the TV. Instead there were crossword puzzles to solve. Lucky for me, the next door neighbor had mowed our lawn so I didn't have to. The weather was relatively nice, around 18 degrees and cloudy. This week it's warmer and also sunny.

Yesterday there was lots to do at the library since we had four days of returns to take care of. We got a new staff member also, we are happy about that. Sadly, one other is retiring.

No comments: