Welcome to Tessa's blog

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Cemetery tour

This past Wednesday seven people from the Royal Library in Stockholm visited us. I gave a presentation of the stacks and our work routines. Apart from this, there is lots to shelve these days. We have been to the storage extra days for this. Also other colleagues have helped us.

The weekend was very busy. In the morning I drove to my birthplace, Norra Strö parish. The Historical Society chairwoman had asked me to give a guided tour of the cemetery. About 20 people showed up to learn more about the ones buried there. I brought the entire gravestone inventory and used it a lot, since it contains more details than the inscriptions reveal. We spent almost two hours walking around and talking about the ones that have gone before us. I was exhausted afterwards but I have to say it was a very interesting event. There were many stories told.

After the cemetery visit I drove on to some friends further north. We had a book exchange; I had found old dissertations for them and they had found books on emigration for me. We had simply exchanged wishlists and discovered that we could help each other. We also had a light lunch and the topics of discussion were varied.  In the evening I drove to the summerhouse and stayed there overnight.

Sunday I was really supposed to mow the lawn but it was too wet. Instead I went to Hässleholm to visit an old lady for a chat and to give her some fabric and thread for her sewing projects. In the afternoon I went to a book fleamarket in the same town. It was opening day for the season and the line was long. I had never been there before. Unfortunately, the books were not divided into fiction/non-fiction so I had to go through everything. It was a big job, it took 1 1/2 h. I found books both for me and the library. After a late lunch at a golf restaurant I drove home again.

No comments: