Welcome to Tessa's blog

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Kitchen renovation

My work computer was exchanged for a brand new one and it will take time to get used to it. There are new features and all my bookmarks were lost so I have spent some time getting acquainted with the new situation.

Thursday last week I overslept by quite a lot. This made some people nervous but they didn't call me. I made it there by 8.30 and rushed to get the requests processed. That same day I went to another storage for a study visit. The ephemera collection is housed at a remote storage. This is a collection of about 4000-5000 shelf meters, nothing of it is catalogued. It was interesting to see their call number system and how they work. They let me wander off into the stacks on my own. At the same time as I was there as a staff member I was also there as a patron. I searched for material about my birth parish Norra Strö. In the church newsletter from 1978 I found a photo of the church sewing club - my grandmother was on this photo! There was also some material from the local bank and statutes for an insurance institute that was started to help poor people in 1914. Very useful finds.

The weekend was spent looking at the offers of kitchen supplies. I might have changed my mind about the tiles. I'm thinking now that it's better with a black variant. Monday afternoon I went to Ikea and got help to draw a plan of the kitchen cabinets. It's an old apartment where the measures are not even. The wall is 2.52 m at the window but only 2.48 m at the door, for instance. If this plan will work out, it's with a margin of 4 millimeters... Tuesday my father and his girlfriend came and started tearing out the kitchen cabinets from 1953. It was very well built with massive wooden panels and long nails, so my father had to use a lot of force to get it out. I think there have been about five trips to the dump so far, and there will be more. I have to work so I can't help much but I took yesterday afternoon off because I had to buy new flooring. I managed this, and also got paint for the ceiling. I still have the fridge and the stove available and the water is still turned on. Though it's not easy to do any cooking and we really don't. Yesterday evening we went out to eat at a restaurant.

No comments: