Welcome to Tessa's blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Trip to Stockholm and Uppsala

Wednesday last week I got on the train to Stockholm and arrived at about 6 PM. I bought a travel pass for local travel and took the subway two stations north. My relatives (Rolf & Inger) have an apartment pretty close to the subway, so it's very convenient. Thursday morning I travelled back to the central station and took a train to Uppsala, which is a 40 minute ride. I attended a meeting at the university library there. We were treated to two coffees and lunch. The meeting was the first one in this group and regarded what old books should be scanned and made available online. We also discussed the technicalities. It would have been good if we can cooperate on this, so that we all use the same system. It was a rather productive meeting. There will be more meetings, hopefully in Stockholm. It gives me an opportunity to go sightseeing......

After the meeting I walked about a mile to the hospital, where my grandfather (soon aged 97) was a patient. He had fallen on an icy spot and broken his shoulder. He was happy to see me, but was sad about his situation. It's the right shoulder and he can't do anything. He was rather bored. His mind is clear and he usually solves the most difficult crossword puzzles. We talked for a long while and then I returned to Stockholm in the late afternoon.

Friday and Saturday were spent mostly in town, shopping for second hand items and clothes. Sometimes Inger went with me, and she showed me some nice stores. I found two tops, a skirt, a sleeveless top, and a really cool handbag in 1950s style. There are some very interesting stores in Stockholm and I went on the subway in all possible directions to go to as many of them as I could. Saturday evening I went to a dinner show called Golden Hits Goes 70s. I got a three course meal and entertainment provided by the waiters/waitresses. In between food servings they changed clothes and performed on stage. They were singing the classic songs of the 1970s. Songs by Nazareth, Elvis, AC/DC, Abba, Alice Cooper, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin and many others were featured. Very nice evening. Several flashbacks.

Sunday I used most of the day to travel back to Skåne. I got off the train in Hässleholm and travelled to the summer house. My sister, niece and mother were there. Monday we went to Kristianstad, because my mother wanted to look at stoves. The one in the summer house is about 35 years old and needs to be replaced rather soon. Yesterday my father came to visit. He had his chainsaw with him and used it to cut down some trees in the back yard. There has been a storm and there were many branches on the ground. We collected them and lit a fire. Hard work. My back is still sore. Since my niece was sick and generally unhappy, I went back home yesterday evening. As it turns out, to no avail. I'm now also sick. This was the last vacation day and I haven't done much. Just did some errands in the village. Got some more medication to prevent the cold from getting really bad, but don't know if it will help.

No comments: