Welcome to Tessa's blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Midsummer holiday

Last week at work was incredibly busy. Since the new database system LUBcat started Tuesday we got lots to do. We had a huge backlog. The system seems to be functioning relatively well. Unfortunately it didn't tell us if a book we returned in the system was requested or not. We discovered this rather quickly but the next day we still had to return a few hundred books one more time. All the returns were finally done by this Monday. That's also when we had the official launch party, with a speech and cutting of a ribbon. Also some snacks and drinks.

I think my presence at the information desk has never been in such demand ever before as this past week. My phone kept ringing constantly. Since I was on the education team for this database people thought I knew everything about it. This was perhaps not entirely true... Many things are new; the way you log in, how to register a new patron and how to register a new book. So pretty much everything. The biggest challenges of course show up when you work at the desk. I often found myself standing behind the librarians on duty like a prompter, giving advice and explaining things.

Thursday afternoon I was very tired when I travelled to the summerhouse. My sister and her family were already there. Friday it was Midsummer Eve. There was some dancing around the maypole but not by us. We helped decorate the maypole, however. This holiday is also about food. The herring tasted very well. We could sit outside and eat but had to go inside shortly afterwards when the rain came. Saturday my father and his girlfriend came to visit to play with the kids. We engaged in a lawn game called kubb, where you throw sticks at blocks to knock them over. It's actually quite fun. Since the winds have changed the ocean water was cold. The only one who jumped into the 11 degree water was my niece.

This summer it's the soccer world championship and because of this my mother's boyfriend got a new big TV for the summerhouse. Sweden qualified this time and so far they have won one match and lost one.

No comments: