Welcome to Tessa's blog

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Big birthday

The library management had decided to shorten the opening hours to two hours starting next Monday but the staff objected to this. Especially my department. I sent three emails with arguments against it and they listened. We still have a lot of visitors. It's not going to be possible to keep the appropriate distance if all of them have to come those two hours. In general, I don't think we should give up so soon. If there is staff enough to man the information desk we should stay open. My department will be the last to call it quits, I'm sure of it.

There are a few of my colleagues who probably have had the corona virus. It's difficult to tell because they don't get tested unless they are hospitalized, and they weren't. Other than this, I don't know anyone who has been affected. My parents are isolating themselves in their homes. My sister has reduced working hours, like many others. I'm lucky to have a secure employment (universities are government funded).

The first Sunday in April was my big birthday. I turned 50. This was actually celebrated, despite the situation in society. I invited my closest colleagues for brunch at my place. My father and his girlfriend also dared to come. We were only nine people but it was a fun party. I was given flowers and chocolate, and some cards contained promises of dinners and events to take place later when it's safe to do so.

The Easter weekend was spent at the summerhouse, where my mother and her boyfriend are in isolation. They have engaged in a lot of garden work to keep busy. The hygiene standards are high these days, so we kept a distance between us and we ate outside on the deck mostly. We didn't use the same towels and washed our hands often. My mother and I did a project, we made an Easter bunny out of fabric and yarn. I took the opportunity to wash my car, since I don't have access to a water hose at my place. My mother also gave me a haircut. The last day I went grocery shopping for them, so they will be ok for at least two weeks.

No comments: